Sunday, August 12, 2012

Filigree and Swarovski Button Earrings

This morning I sat down at my design table and just sat there.  Nothing in mind.  I started thinking about filigree and the few components I had on hand.  Then, I knew I had these small Swarovski Sew on Stones that I though would make easy earrings.  The bad thing about the stones was, the back of them was coated gray.  That is not good for a free dangling earring.  Sparkle side -- blah gray side....  But if I attached them to filigree, then you wouldn't notice the gray side as much.  I took out the single pieces of filigree and realized that the stones were too small of scale to go with them.  Then I saw a filigree ring that I had flattened.  I don't know why or when I had flattened it.... it was just there.  I liked the shape of the ends of the "ring". 


I took a picture of earrings I already made and an unflattened ring.

I then took the ring and with a simple pair of scissors, I cut the filigree in the shape was appealing to me.  

 I took apart the original pair of earrings and reused all the components and added one 
                                jump ring to attach
 the Swarovski stone to the filigree. 




I am really happy that the filigree helps cover and hide the icky gray side of the stone.  I am also ecstatic that I was finally able to figure out a different use for the filigree rings.  

I have really wanted to work with and experiment with filigree, but always allowed myself get stumped.  I was afraid.  I don't know why I would be afraid!  In jewelry making (and most things crafty) usually you can always re-use and re-purpose projects that don't come out "just right".  

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Beading Community? Our members will love it.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Photos, Videos and Classifieds if you like. It’s free and easy.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
    The Beading Community: http://www.vorts.com/beading/
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I looked at your site. Once I get a bit more spare time, I will post a link! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete